Q. How do I cite and reference a book?
Author(s) last name, Initial. (Year). Title of book. Publication company name.
Author(s) last name, Initial. (Year). Title of book (edition). Publication company name.
Obama, B. H. (2006). The audacity of hope. Crown Publishers.
Button, T. (2009). A new beginning: Stories from back home (2nd ed.). Pearson Canada.
In-text citation (paraphrase):
(Author(s) last name, year).
In-text citation (direct quote):
(Author(s) last name, year, page number(s)).
(Obama, 2006, p. 14).
(Botton, 2009, p. 3).
- Note that as of the 7th edition of APA, you no longer need to include the publisher's location in your reference
- Note italics and sentence case for title information
- If a book has multiple publishers, separate their names with ;
- If an edition is Canadian, write "Canadian" before ed.
- For more tips and examples on referencing in APA format, check here
- For more information on creating in-text citations, check here.